Wednesday, April 15, 2009

duty

Have you ever been to Publix or Wal-Mart and asked where you might be able to find an item for which you seek? I hate it when the stock person or bagger tells me, "Um, aisle 8...about 3/4 of the way down on the left side...towards the bottom." That sounds pretty accurate, but when you get on that aisle, you find out they don't really store the breadcrumbs with the bleach, so you go back to searching on your own. At Wal-Mart, no matter what you ask for, it has to be in the catch-all department, "Housewares." As much as I am an independent person and enjoy shopping, I find it so refreshing when store employee actually takes the time to walk with you to the aisle and show you where the item is. It takes the frustration and aggravation out of the search. I feel like they really want to help me.


On a very simple level, I would like to equate this type of experience with our duty as Christians. So many times, I have heard the idea that we should "point people to the cross." I have a tendency to believe that Jesus wanted us to do a little more than point a finger or give some quick directions to those who are lost and hurting. Finding the way to the cross and His salvation is not a one-tank trip. It's not a weekend visit to a cool spot. It is a life-journey. His Way is a long road of discovery, trials and surprises. It's kind of like taking a long road trip without getting on the interstate; taking the back roads gives you the best view and understanding of the region.


When traveling, I've always heard that whenever you go visit a new place (like New York City or Israel), it's always better to go with someone who had been before, or with someone who lives (or has lived) there. They know all the cool places to go, and conversely, the ones to avoid. They know where the good areas of town are, as well as the sketchy ones. Just the same, the journey to the cross is best not taken alone. When we, who know the way, walk with others their journey, we can share new things that will enhance their experience and guide them through unknown territory. Ultimately, being with someone who knows the way makes the trip more enjoyable.


It can be so easy to get into a mode where we, just like the tired store employee, point and give directions to people. Hoping or sometimes not even caring if they ever make it.


-maybe someone else will help them?
-maybe they will stumble upon it on their own?
-it's not on my job description


For those who have who have been lost and hurting, it can seem as though they are alone in this life. The feeling of being alone can be overwhelming and depressing. Not knowing that there is a purpose for the trip and that their is a destination can make the trip seem pointless. Disappointments, worries and fears are all better managed when someone is there to help bear the weight.


The band Green Day has a song called the I walk alone- Check out some of the lyrics- I walk a lonely road. The only one that I have ever known. Don't know where it goes, but it's home to me and I walk alone. I walk this empty street on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Where the city sleeps and I'm the only one and I walk alone. I'm walking down the line, that divides me somewhere in my mind, on the border line of the edge and where I walk alone. My shadow's the only one that walks beside me. My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating. Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me. 'Til then I walk alone.


So what is our duty?

-show the Way

-accompany someone on the journey

-show them the cool spots and what to avoid

-and most of all, show them Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment