Wednesday, April 8, 2009

markers

The following are some Biblical examples of physical markers set in place by people to remember God's presence and work in their lives and covenants made in His presence:

Genesis 28:18 God's presence-God's House- Bethel
Genesis 31:44 A covenant, serving as a witness
Genesis 35:14 the place where God had talked with him
Exodus 24:4 twelve stone pillars, representing the twelve tribes of Israel.
Joshua 24:25 a covenant for the people

What are the "markers" in my life that I have erected as memorials to God's goodness and faithfulness in my life? Were those moments where God met me and changed me marking places in my life? Pride would say, "I did that in my own power, strength or wisdom."

Here are some thoughts I have about this subject.

Look at me... Look what I did....

Recently there was a "flash-in-the-pan" song called "Handle Bars" by a band called the Flobots. The song starts out with the line "I can ride my bike with no handle bars...." (I have included a link to the youtube video at the end of this post- it is worth watching). It starts out pretty juvenile. As the lyrics continue they depict what "man" can do starting with "riding with no handle bars" and progressing to the point where "man" can control the world. Every time I listen to this song, it shakes me. I know it's just a song, but to me, it describes the condition of man, the condition of our souls. I have worked for my achievements and earned my rewards. The feeling that I can control everything, I can be like a god and it's all about me.....reminds me of the Tower of Babel.

Genesis 11: 3&4 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

God help us... have mercy on us for taking your gifts and blessings and calling them works of our own hands.

Psalm 24:1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him. 2 For he laid the earth’s foundation on the seas and built it on the ocean depths. 3 Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? 4 Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies. 5 They will receive the Lord’s blessing and have a right relationship with God their savior. 6 Such people may seek you and worship in your presence, O God of Jacob.

I reflect often about God's unmistakable hand moving in my life. I remember many of the pivotal moments where I can easily say "That was God." There are others things in my life that have evolved over time that I can say that it was His doing. Do I attribute everything to Him that He deserves? Do I give credit where credit is due? Do I share with other's what God has done in me or do I covet pleasure and pride in my own accomplishments? Do I give Him the glory for what He has done in me?

Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

God has made His mark on us. His fingerprints can be seen on the clay of our lives.

Each day, God creates, impresses, teaches, allows....

He moves, lives, breathes.........

He gives and takes the breath of life.....

What can we do......starting today?

Set up our stones....
Set up our markers....
Give credit where credit is due....
Discover where our help comes from....

Psalm 121:1&2 I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

Check out the Flobot video.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs

No comments:

Post a Comment